Find Madeleine
Welcome to the Find Madeleine forum!

This is a private forum. All new members are requested to make at least ONE post within a week of your account being activated. The Find Madeleine forum staff have taken these steps in order to safeguard our forum and its members using it.

You may want to do this in the Introduce Yourself area or during a chat in The Fireplace Chat area. There are plenty of places to post, even if it is just a hello message. Posting at least ONE message will let us know that you wish to keep your account. We fully understand that some members do not have the time to post on a regular basis but we feel this is a very reasonable request.

Any accounts that remains at 0 posts after one week will be deleted.

Regards,
Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Find Madeleine
Welcome to the Find Madeleine forum!

This is a private forum. All new members are requested to make at least ONE post within a week of your account being activated. The Find Madeleine forum staff have taken these steps in order to safeguard our forum and its members using it.

You may want to do this in the Introduce Yourself area or during a chat in The Fireplace Chat area. There are plenty of places to post, even if it is just a hello message. Posting at least ONE message will let us know that you wish to keep your account. We fully understand that some members do not have the time to post on a regular basis but we feel this is a very reasonable request.

Any accounts that remains at 0 posts after one week will be deleted.

Regards,
Admin
Find Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Find Madeleine Widget
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Find Madeleine on your social bookmarking website

KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA)

3 posters

Go down

KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA) Empty KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA)

Post  Logos Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:04 am

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 am Post subject: KELSEY BRIGGS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This memorial website was created in the memory of our loved one, Kelsey Briggs who was born in Oklahoma on December 28, 2002 and passed away on October 11, 2005 at the age of 2. We will remember her forever.

After nine months of documented abuse and two court hearings a Judge sent Kelsey back home to an abusive home. She remained in state custody and was to be supervised by state agencies. Her father was in Iraq fighting for our country while Kelsey was here fighting for her life.

On October 11, 2005 she was murdered. The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the abdomen. Two weeks later her stepfather was arrested on first degee murder. Her mother was later charged with two felonies of Child Abuse and Enabling Child Abuse. In April 2006 Kelsey's body was exhumed for a second autopsy where sexual abuse was documented. The stepfather's charges were amended to add the sexual abuse.

On February 2, 2007 a plea negotiation was entered and approved by the paternal family. The stepfather plead guilty to a reduced charge of Enabling Child Abuse and received 30 years in prison. He has no possibility of parole for 25.5 years.

The mother was found guilty of Enabling Child Abuse and sentenced to 27 years in prison. She is asking for a new trial. Trial notes for Raye Dawn's trial are available on kelseyspurpose.org

A new law has been named for Kelsey in Oklahoma to prevent this type of failure in our state system.

http://kelsey-briggs.memory-of.com/

Kelsey's Purpose

My granddaughter Kelsey was born after her parents were divorced. I wondered why this child would be put on this earth after the two people who were not meant to be together had already gone their separate ways. I knew she had a purpose, but what could it be?

When my son was called to active duty and sent to Iraq I was sure that I knew. God was giving Kelsey to us because her father was not coming home.

I was wrong. Kelsey was the one who did not make it. She died just days before her dad was to return. After nine months of abuse, she joined the other little angels in Heaven. It was then that I knew her purpose...

http://kelseyspurpose.org/

smokie
Forum Addict!

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kelseys story on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWow42TCwzg

smokie
Forum Addict!

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:15 am Post subject:

Meeker OK- At only 2-and-a-half-years-old, Kelsey Briggs' tiny body had already endured more injuries than most people see in a lifetime. She had broken bones and bruises from head to toe. The DHS report states that Kelsey had a broken collarbone and faded bruises on her thighs and bottom. A doctor said those bruises were the result of abuse, likely from a beating with an object such as a hair brush. Kelsey's mom, Ray Dawn, said she didn't know how the bruises got there. At that time, DHS told a judge that Kelsey needed to be removed from the home and she was. In February the DA went to court to establish Kelsey as a deprived and abused child. The DA said Kelsey's mother and step-father either perpetrated the abuse or failed to protect Kelsey. Two months later, the judge, acting on a DHS recommendation, allowed Ray Dawn unsupervised visits. Given the history some people wonder why DHS thought that was a good idea. Department of Human Service official George Johnson says, Until you can prove a person has done abuse or neglect to a child, at whatever level; until you can prove that, the courts say you need to be certain of things and that there is enough evidence to prove otherwise. If that means returning a child to a childs home you have to do that. Kelsey's guardian, her paternal grandmother, insists the mothers visits only took place if Michael Porter was not around. Within a month, Kelsey was back in a DHS office. She now has more bruises and what's described as a sprained ankle. DHS staff noticed that Kelsey whimpered and would not walk or crawl. They tell her mom to take the little girl to the emergency room right away. Doctors eventually find broken bones and say the injuries are the result of abuse. DHS remove Kelsey from her grandparents home and continue to investigate. Because of Kelseys broken legs, within a month, the Lincoln County DA is back in court and files a petition saying, in part that Ray Dawn, "either perpetrated the acts of abuse or failed to protect Kelsey. However, a month later, in June, the court allows Ray Dawn to have physical custody of the little girl.
http://lostinlimaohio.blogspot.com/2005/12/kelsey-briggs.html

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA) Empty Re: KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA)

Post  Tezza Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:24 pm

KOCO Oklahoma City

14 April 2010

Slain Girls Shared Same DHS Worker‎
Yolanda Hunter Worked With Aja Johnson, Kelsey Briggs

The deaths of two Oklahoma children years apart are raising concerns because of a common link to a state agency.

Kelsey Briggs' grandmother and Aja Johnson's father met Wednesday to share their grief.

"There's no comparison to losing a child in your family," said Kathie Briggs. "Four and a half years later, I still look at little girls' clothes."

http://www.koco.com/mostpopular/23154473/detail.html
Tezza
Tezza
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5956
Birthday : 1971-04-23
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA) Empty Re: KELSEY BRIGGS - Aged 2 years - Oklahoma (USA)

Post  merlynsam Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:45 am

newsok.com

July 19, 2007

By Nolan Clay (Oklahoman)

Mom found guilty; jury hands down 27-year prison term

BRISTOW — The mother of Kelsey Smith-Briggs sobbed, "I don't understand. Help me,” in court Wednesday after jurors found her guilty of allowing the girl to be abused.

Jurors chose a punishment of 27 years in prison for Raye Dawn Smith. Formal sentencing is Aug. 23.

She lowered her head into her hands and wept as the trial judge, Paul Vassar, read the verdict — guilty of enabling child abuse. Jurors deliberated about two hours and 35 minutes, asking the judge at one point in a note if they had to be unanimous on punishment. The judge replied yes.

(CONTINUES)

http://newsok.com/mom-found-guilty-jury-hands-down-27-year-prison-term/article/3086520#ixzz112WtOFE6
merlynsam
merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4656

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:56 am

News on 6

Published: August 1, 2010

Okla woman convicted in child's death seeks trial

NEWKIRK, Okla. (AP) - A Sept. 1 hearing has been set for a woman convicted of enabling child abuse in the 2005 death of her daughter.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals ruled July 2 that statements in Raye Smith's request for a new trial "contain sufficient information to show at least a strong possibility that a juror received information outside of the courtroom."

Defense attorneys believe a juror watched media coverage of the case and checked an Internet site devoted to the child. The juror, Brandi Marie Oldham, has declined comment.

2-year-old Kelsey Smith-Briggs' death was ruled a homicide, but no one was convicted of murder.

Her stepfather, Michael Porter, was charged with first-degree murder, but he pleaded guilty to enabling child abuse and was sentenced to 30 years.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13082526

(Printed in full as now subscription access only)

Last edited by merlynsam on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
merlynsam
merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:10 am

News OK

29th August 2010

New Book Follows Death Of Abused Oklahoma Child

TULSA, OK -- A new book follows the tragic story of a two-year-old Oklahoma girl who suffered abuse most of her life.

This week, the little girl's mother goes back to court, asking for a new trial.

Home video shows Kelsey Briggs being a typical toddler. But the images hide the truth of her short, violent life. Kelsey died in 2005. She was two-and-a-half-years-old.

"The cause of death was ruled blunt force trauma to the stomach. So someone either punched or kicked her to death at not even quite three-years-old," said Cherokee Ballard, author.

Ballard and Britten Follett were journalists in Oklahoma City covering the tragic story. They've co-authored a book, trying to get to the bottom of the mystery. The book is called, "Who Killed Kelsey?" (http://www.whokilledkelsey.com/)

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13061323

merlynsam
merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 am

NEWS OK

Published: August 31, 2010

BY NOLAN CLAY Oklahoman

Evidentiary hearing set in Kelsey Smith-Briggs case

An evidentiary hearing is underway for Raye Dawn Smith, the Oklahoma mother found guilty of enabling child abuse.

Smith's attorneys are calling for a new trial claiming that in 2007 a juror broke the rules by researching the case on the Internet.

Brandy Oldham was a juror in the child abuse trial and denies the claim. Oldham took the stands and said she had used her dad's computer to check her e-mails during the trial but not to search the Internet. She added during lunch breaks, she visited several nursing homes for work-related matters for her new job.

Oldham's former co-worker, Todd Bowman, testified before the judge and claimed Oldham told him she looked at the Kelsey website on more than one occasion and talked about the news she watched on a daily basis.

He added she told him not to mention their conversation to anyone. Bowman said his conscience got the best of him. He claimed Oldham made comments about the defendant, Raye Dawn Smith, and said she, "looked like trash and she should fry."

cached link; http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eXKX82sMN5IJ:newsok.com/evidentiary-hearing-set-in-kelsey-smith-briggs-case/article/3481504+Evidentiary+hearing+set+in+Kelsey+Smith-Briggs+case&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a#ixzz112fESteZ

merlynsam
merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:27 am

NEWS OK

Mon September 10, 2007

Kelsey's mother gets 27 years in prison

BRISTOW — The mother of Kelsey Smith-Briggs used her moment to speak at her formal sentencing today to say to her former mother-in-law, "Kathie, I forgive you.”

The judge then ordered Raye Dawn Smith to serve 27 years in prison for enabling child abuse.

The sentencing lasted only four minutes.

"She's demented,” Kathie Briggs said afterward.

"I did have to chuckle just a bit,” Briggs said. "She still blames the people that tried to save Kelsey. I was terribly shocked. She finally had a chance — one last chance — to stand up and say, ‘I'm sorry, Kelsey,' and instead she addressed me.”

Jurors in July found Smith guilty of allowing her then-second husband to abuse Kelsey. They chose the punishment of 27 years.

Kelsey, 2, died on Oct. 11, 2005, at her home near Meeker. Doctors determined she died from abuse. Jurors heard testimony that Kelsey had been abused for months, suffering broken bones, bruises, a sexual assault and other injuries.

Smith, 27, still contends she is not guilty. Today, she could have asked the judge to suspend all or part of the punishment but chose not to. Her new attorney, Stephen Jones of Enid, plans to ask for a new trial.

"An injustice has been committed here,” Jones told reporters after the sentencing. "The evidence that would clear Raye Dawn was not heard by the jury. ... Some of the evidence was false, overstated and went beyond reasonable medical certainty.”

Smith did not testify at her trial. At today's formal sentencing, Jones told Judge Paul Vassar she wanted to make a statement. Smith then stood, looked toward her former mother-in-law in the second row and said, "Kathie, I forgive you.” She sat down without saying anything else.

Some in the crowded courtroom laughed briefly. The judge called for quiet and finished the sentencing.

Jones and Smith's mother would not say afterward what she meant by her statement. However, at trial, defense attorneys suggested to jurors that Briggs used her political clout to get prosecutors to charge Smith.

Briggs has been outspoken in calling for justice for Kelsey. Her efforts have led to a new law and contributed to the defeat of the Lincoln County judge who returned Kelsey to her mother four months before the death.

Also, Smith has suggested Briggs is to blame for some of Kelsey's injuries.

"I have always felt this was a conspiracy against me,” Smith claimed in an Aug. 2 statement written for a report to the judge. "I also believe that there are people guilty of things running free. ... Kathie Briggs knows I didn't hurt Kelsey, and she knows I didn't sit back and let it happen.”

Under Oklahoma law, Smith must serve almost 23 years — 85 percent of her sentence — before she is eligible for parole.

Smith wore a black pants suit and white blouse. She was handcuffed and had ankle chains.

Kelsey's father, Lance Briggs, called Smith's statement in court "mind boggling.”

"She doesn't get it,” he said. "No remorse.”

He was returning from military duty when Kelsey died.

Kelsey's stepfather, Michael Lee Porter, is serving 30 years in prison. He once was charged with sexually abusing and murdering Kelsey but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of enabling child abuse after reaching a deal with prosecutors.

He and Smith wed on April 18, 2005, and divorced after Kelsey died. In her Aug. 2 statement, Smith wrote, "If I could've seen into the future I never would've dated Mike Porter.”

After the sentencing, Smith's mother, Gayla Smith, told reporters, "Kelsey was very, very special to all of us, and her mother loved her more than anyone can ever imagine. ... We, Raye Dawn's family, love her. We support her and we will dedicate ourselves to reversing this injustice.”

At the sentencing was Michele Reeves, one of the jurors. She said she was there for closure.

"She should have protected that baby with everything that she had,” said Reeves, 38, of Sapulpa. "There was no evidence showing she ever tried to protect her. It hurts to think that moms would do that. ... Don't know what her reason was for it but the evidence showed ... after being told numerous times that the child was being abused ... she just looked the other way.”

Reeves said jurors agreed right away during their deliberations that Smith was guilty but they compromised on punishment. Reeves said she wanted Smith to get a life sentence.

She said at one point one male juror suggested Smith get only one year. Reeves said she held up a picture of Kelsey and told the other juror, "This child was given life in a cold grave.”

Reeves said she would have found Smith guilty of murder, if that had been an option for the jury.

http://newsok.com/article/3122794/1189452043?pg=2

(printed in full as article is now subscription only)
merlynsam
merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:31 am

merlynsam
merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down