Find Madeleine
Welcome to the Find Madeleine forum!

This is a private forum. All new members are requested to make at least ONE post within a week of your account being activated. The Find Madeleine forum staff have taken these steps in order to safeguard our forum and its members using it.

You may want to do this in the Introduce Yourself area or during a chat in The Fireplace Chat area. There are plenty of places to post, even if it is just a hello message. Posting at least ONE message will let us know that you wish to keep your account. We fully understand that some members do not have the time to post on a regular basis but we feel this is a very reasonable request.

Any accounts that remains at 0 posts after one week will be deleted.

Regards,
Admin
Candles
Register
You are currently viewing these forums as a Guest. To access all forums, please log in. If you are not currently a Member, please register.

"REGISTER"
Navigation
 Home
 Blog
 Portal
 FAQ
 Search
January 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Free counters!
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Find Madeleine Widget
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of Find Madeleine on your social bookmarking website

JAVON THOMPSON - Aged 2 years - Baltimore (USA)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: JAVON THOMPSON - Aged 2 years - Baltimore (USA)

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 am

Baltimore Sun

February 23, 2010

Trial opens in child-starvation case

Members of reputed cult defending themselves

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-02-23/news/bal-md.cult23feb23_1_queen-antoinette-javon-thompson-religious-group

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4656
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 am

Associated Press

Feb 24, 2010

By BEN NUCKOLS (AP)

Mother of starved child believes he'll live again

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gOp8D56OG9y62Wg_Sobm7oVR4d_wD9E2NVR00

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 am

Baltimore Sun

February 25, 2010|

Starved toddler may have been possessed, mother says at trial

Testimony continues in case of reputed cult

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-02-25/news/bal-md.cult25feb25_1_ria-ramkissoon-marcus-cobbs-testimony

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:28 am

Baltimore Sun

February 25, 2010

Witness: Accused cult leaders had her committed to keep quiet

Woman eventually told N.Y. agency of boy's starvation, leading to group's arrest

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-02-25/news/bal-cult-starvation-case0225_1_cult-leaders-marcus-cobbs-trevia-williams

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:31 am

News Ok

Published: February 25, 2010

Former cult member says she feared group's leader

http://www.newsok.com/former-cult-member-says-she-feared-groups-leader/article/feed/136616

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 am

WBAL

Monday, March 01, 2010

Prosecution To Rest In Cult Starvation Death Case

http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/story.aspx?articleid=46624&zoneid=2

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 am

The Baltimore Sun

March 02, 2010

Closing arguments expected in trial of reputed cult members

Defendants accused of starving toddler to death

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-03-02/news/bal-md.cult02mar02_1_cult-members-javon-thompson-closing-arguments

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:38 am

Now Public

March 2, 2010

by Amy Judd

Javon Thompson Case Update: Three Convicted in Cult Death

In the Javon Thompson case, an update was released today when three people were convicted in the cult death of the one-year-old who was starved to death when he did not say 'Amen' during mealtime.

The three people were part of what authorities called a religious cult, which included Javon's mother, were convicted in his murder today after the boy's remains were found in a suitcase and further investigation revealed he had starved to death. Javon's mother pleaded guilty last year to 'child abuse resulting in death.'

The three convicted today, called Queen Antoinette, Trevia Williams, her daughter, and Marcus Cobbs, could get up to 60 years in prison when they are sentenced May 18th.

(continues)

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/javon-thompson-case-update-three-convicted-cult-death-2585309.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 am

Malaysia News.Net

Tuesday 2nd March, 2010

Religious cultists believed neglected child could be resurrected

(snippet)

Queen Antoinette, 41, was convicted of second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of Javon Thompson in 2006.

Antoinette’s daughter, Trevia Williams, 22, and another follower, Marcus A. Cobbs, 23, were also found guilty of second-degree murder and child abuse.

They will be sentenced over the crime, in which the boy simply wasted away, on May 18th.

http://www.malaysianews.net/story/607716

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 am

The Baltimore Sun

March 03, 2010

By Tricia Bishop

3 reputed cult members convicted in toddler's death

Defendants could face up to 60 years in prison each

A Baltimore jury deliberated less than three hours before finding three accused cult members guilty Tuesday of starving a 16-month-old to death because he did not say "amen" before meals.

Marcus Cobbs, 23; Trevia Williams, 22; and her 41-year-old mother, Toni Sloan - who claims God renamed her "Queen Antoinette" - each faces a maximum of 60 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled May 18.

The verdicts brought a swift end to a case that captured national attention.

http://news.google.co.uk/news/search?um=1&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&q=javon+thompson&cf=all&scoring=n&start=0

Last edited by merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 am

WJZ.com

Mar 3, 2010

Mother Of Starved Baby To Receive Counseling

http://wjz.com/local/cult.baby.charges.2.1535080.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:43 pm

UPI.com

March. 3, 2010

Cult trio faces prison in starvation death

BALTIMORE, March 3 (UPI) -- A Baltimore judge has set a spring sentencing date for three members of a religious cult convicted of starving a toddler to death.

The defendants, including the leader of the group who goes by the name Queen Antoinette, were found guilty Tuesday of withholding food from the 16-month-old boy because he did not say "amen" before mealtime.

Antoinette, who is actually 41-year-old Toni Sloan, her 22-year-old daughter, Trevia Williams, and Marcus Cobbs, 23, will all face up to 60 years in a Maryland prison when they are sentenced May 18.

The Baltimore Sun said Wednesday the outcome of the case, which drew national headlines, was settled in less than three hours by the jury Tuesday.

The defendants represented themselves in the week-long trial.

The mummified remains of Javon Thompson were discovered in 2008 packed in a suitcase stashed in a shed in Pennsylvania. The child had been dead about 15 months before being discovered.

The Sun said the case involved claims by Sloan that Javon could be resurrected and threats of "eternal damnation" to keep members of the group in line.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/03/03/Cult-trio-faces-prison-in-starvation-death/UPI-58601267640518/

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Legalbrief Today

Thu 04 March 2010

Cult members who starved boy to death found guilty

The leader of a household described as a US religious cult has been convicted of second-degree murder along with two of her followers for starving a one-year-old boy to death because he did not say 'Amen' during a mealtime prayer, notes a Sydney Morning Herald report.

Jurors also convicted Queen Antoinette, her daughter Trevia Williams and Marcus A Cobbs of child abuse resulting in death. Cobbs was also found guilty of accessory after the fact for helping to cover up the death of Javon Thompson. The defendants each face up to 60 years in prison when they are sentenced on 18 May. Javon's mother, Ria Ramkissoon, testified that Antoinette said Javon had 'a spirit of rebellion' inside him and that denying him food would cure him. She said she believed Antoinette's claim about the evil spirit. Javon died in either December 2006 or January 2007. He was about 16 months old, and it's not clear whether he was ever capable of saying 'Amen'.

http://www.legalbrief.co.za/article.php?story=20100304084104726

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Washington Post

April 21, 2010

Suspended sentence in cult death

A woman who starved her 1-year-old son to death at the behest of a religious cult leader has been given a suspended sentence and probation.

Ria Ramkissoon pleaded guilty to child abuse resulting in the death of her son, Javon Thompson.

The plea agreement contained an extraordinary provision: If Javon is resurrected, the plea will be withdrawn.

Cult leader Queen Antoinette told followers not to feed Javon when he did not say “Amen” during a mealtime prayer. Antoinette, her daughter and another man were convicted of second-degree murder.

Ramkissoon, who has been in jail since her 2008 arrest, was given five years probation on Wednesday and must complete the program at a residential treatment facility.

Assistant State’s Attorney Julie Drake called the sentence compassionate but fair. She says the state sees Ramkissoon as a victim.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/crime-and-public-safety/sentencing-set-in-cult-death.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:03 pm

The Baltimore Sun

Thu, 22/04/2010

by Andy Cooper

Woman who starved her 1-year-old son to death given a suspended sentence and probation

Baltimore SunAccording to observers, a Maryland woman who starved her 1-year-old son to death following instructions from a cult leader was given a suspended sentence and probation.

The Baltimore Sun has reported that Ria Ramkissoon, 23, pleaded guilty in 2009 to child abuse resulting in the death of Javon Thompson by denying him food and water when he would not say "Amen" before meals.

The newspaper further said that Ramkissoon had been living with a small religious cult headed by Toni Sloan, who calls herself Queen Antoinette. Sloan told Ramkissoon her son had "a spirit of rebellion" inside him and he could be cured by denying him food.

Sloan, her daughter Trevia Williams and another cult member were convicted of second-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death. They are set to be sentenced in May and could face up to 60 years in prison.

It was also reported by the Sun that Baltimore Circuit Judge Timothy J. Doory suspended a 20-year sentence for Ramkissoon and ordered her to enter a residential treatment facility for young women.

http://www.topnews.in/woman-who-starved-her-1yearold-son-death-given-suspended-sentence-and-probation-2259431

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 pm

CBS News

May 18, 2010

Cult Members Face Sentencing for Starving Toddler Javon Thompson to Death for Not Saying "Amen"

BALTIMORE (CBS/AP) Javon Thompson was 16 months old when his mother and three other cult followers effectively ordered his execution by starving the toddler because he didn't say 'Amen" before meals.

Prosecutors say cult leader Queen Antoinette told the mother that denying food would cure her child's rebellious spirit.

Antoinette, her daughter Trevia Williams and fellow cult member Marcus Cobbs face up to 60 years on second-degree murder and child abuse charges at sentencing Tuesday in Baltimore.

Javon's mother, Trinidad-born Ria Ramkissoon, who pleaded guilty in 2009 to child abuse resulting in death, testified that Antoinette said Javon had "a spirit of rebellion" inside him and that denying him food would cure him. She said she believed Antoinette's claim about the evil spirit.

Ramkissoon testified that after Javon died Antoinette ordered her to pray for his resurrection and "nurture him back to life." Ramkissoon said she stayed with the body for weeks, dancing for him and singing to him, even trying to give him water.

When those efforts failed Javon's body was stashed in a suitcase and taken with them when the group relocated to Philadelphia.

Twenty-three-year-old Ramkissoon is already in a residential treatment program for young women as part of an unusual plea bargain, in which her plea will be withdrawn if the child comes back to life.

According to the Huffington Post, law experts and psychiatrists said there was no problem with the agreement because Ramkissoon was mentally competent and freely entered into the deal, and extreme religious beliefs aren't deemed insane by law.

"To say that someone is crazy because they have beliefs is very difficult," said Dr. Jonas Rappeport, a retired forensic psychiatrist and the former chief medical officer for Baltimore Circuit Court. "If I believe that God wants me to starve my child, that gets close to the edge, but it's very questionable as to calling that an illness that would exonerate someone for a crime."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20005229-504083.html?tag=mncol;lst;1

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Washington Post

May 18, 2010

50 years for head of Md. cult convicted in child's starving death

A cult leader convicted of the starvation death of a toddler for not saying "Amen" after meals was sentenced to 50 years in prison Tuesday by a judge who described her as a manipulator of lost souls.

Queen Antoinette was sentenced in Baltimore along with her daughter, Trevia Williams and fellow cult member Marcus Cobbs, who were each handed concurrent 25-year sentences for second degree murder and child abuse, with all but 15 years on one count suspended.

Judge Timothy Doory said the death of Javon Thompson was mystifying and the three fit the legal definition of “depraved heart” crimes in that they didn't care, and knew they didn't care, about the consequence of their actions.

Doory saved his harshest comments for the cult leader, saying, “You were the collector of people, of lost souls and in the name of religion you have manipulated them.”

Doory told Antoinette she had expressed no remorse and was most concerned about the description of her group as a cult. Antoinette told the judge before sentencing that she did not have any remorse because she was not guilty.

“I don't 'cause I'm not guilty of what I've been accused of,” Antoinette said, adding the “the truth will eventually come out, however long it takes.”

Prosecutors asked the judge to sentence Antoinette to the maximum 60 years on second-degree murder and child abuse charges, 50 for Williams and 40 for Cobbs.

All three represented themselves, and again refused attorneys before sentencing, spending about an hour reviewing pre-sentencing reports in the courtroom while other cases were handled. Williams and Cobbs gave short rambling statements before sentencing, saying they disagreed with various items in the reports but did not want to contest them.

Doory told Cobbs and Williams he was not without hope they could change but also ordered they not have contact with unrelated minors or group members after their sentence is completed.

Javon Thompson's body was found in a suitcase in Philadelphia in 2008, more than a year after his death in Baltimore. The child's mother, 23-year-old Ria Ramkissoon, is already in a residential treatment program for young women as part of unusual plea bargain in which her plea will be withdrawn if the child is resurrected, as she believes will happen.

Ramkissoon's mother appeared at sentencing, telling the judge she became a “walking zombie” after the death of her grandson, not able to eat.

“When he was taken away, so was my happiness,” Seeta Newton said, adding “the most disgusting part of this is they did it in the name of God and the Bible.”

Prosecutors said Antoinette told Ramkissoon that denying food would cure the boy's rebellious spirit. The mother admitted denying food and water to the 16-month-old child, who wasted away over the course of a week before dying.

After Javon died in late 2006 or early 2007, Antoinette told her followers to pray for his resurrection, and the young mother spent weeks with her son's body.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/baltimore/sentencing-for-md-cult-members.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:21 pm

UPI news

May 19, 2010

Three sentenced in toddler's death

BALTIMORE, May 19 (UPI) -- A Baltimore cult leader was sentenced to 50 years in prison in the death of a toddler who was starved to death for disobedience, prosecutors said.

Toni Sloan, 41, who said God had anointed her "Queen Antoinette," was sentenced Tuesday for second-degree murder and first-degree child abuse in the death of 16-month-old Javon Thompson, whose body was found in 2008 in a Pennsylvania shed.

Trevia Williams, 22, and Marcus Cobbs, 23, received the same sentence for the same charges with all but 15 years suspended for each, The Baltimore Sun reported Wednesday.

"There can still be hope" for them, Baltimore Circuit Judge Timothy Doory said of Williams and Cobbs, two of Sloan's followers.

Sloan had ordered the boy starved because he refused to say "amen," prosecutors said.

"You were a collector of people, a collector of disaffected children, a collector of lost souls," Doory told Sloan. "You are the person most responsible."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/05/19/Three-sentenced-in-toddlers-death/UPI-54171274287476/

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Baltimore Sun

June 02, 2010

By Julie Drake

Justice served in Ramkissoon case
Those most responsible for toddler's death received tough sentences

A number of local citizens have raised questions about the sentencing of Ria Ramkissoon, mother of 16-month-old Javon Thompson, who died of dehydration and starvation while living with a cult in West Baltimore. In order to understand her sentence, it is important to understand the facts that formed the basis for Ms. Ramkissoon's guilty plea and the trial of her co-defendants.

In 2006, Ms. Ramkissoon was persuaded by a friend to join a household run by a woman who called herself "Queen Antoinette." Ms. Ramkissoon was told that this was a Christian household where she could devote herself to the care of her child, Javon, then 7 months. Toni Sloan, aka "Queen Antoinette," ran her household under a strict set of rules, which she said were based on biblical principles. As time passed, the rules multiplied and became more restrictive. Eventually, all members were required to give up their personal possessions (including identification), as well as contact with old friends and family. The children were not permitted to attend school, and the women were expected to stay home and care for the children. With the exception of Queen Antoinette, her daughter Trevia Williams ("Princess Trevia"), and her chief aide, Marcus Cobbs ("Prince Marcus"), no one could leave the house, unless they were accompanied by another member. Queen Antoinette claimed that God spoke directly to her; failure to follow her rules would result in damnation.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-06-02/news/bs-ed-ramkisoon-trial-20100602_1_ria-ramkissoon-ms-ramkissoon-queen-antoinette

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 pm

RIP LITTLE JAVON

YOU ARE NOW IN A BETTER PLACE

MAY THE ANGELS WATCH OVER YOU

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum