Find Madeleine
Welcome to the Find Madeleine forum!

This is a private forum. All new members are requested to make at least ONE post within a week of your account being activated. The Find Madeleine forum staff have taken these steps in order to safeguard our forum and its members using it.

You may want to do this in the Introduce Yourself area or during a chat in The Fireplace Chat area. There are plenty of places to post, even if it is just a hello message. Posting at least ONE message will let us know that you wish to keep your account. We fully understand that some members do not have the time to post on a regular basis but we feel this is a very reasonable request.

Any accounts that remains at 0 posts after one week will be deleted.

Regards,
Admin
Candles
Register
You are currently viewing these forums as a Guest. To access all forums, please log in. If you are not currently a Member, please register.

"REGISTER"
Navigation
 Home
 Blog
 Portal
 FAQ
 Search
July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Free counters!
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Find Madeleine Widget
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of Find Madeleine on your social bookmarking website

CAYLEE MARIE ANTHONY - Aged 2 years - Orlando, Florida (USA)

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: CAYLEE MARIE ANTHONY - Aged 2 years - Orlando, Florida (USA)

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:41 am

My Fox Orlando

Monday, 04 Oct 2010

Defense reviews Equusearch records

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL, FOX 35) - The founder of the Texas EquuSearch volunteer group says the defense's request to search his organization's records is a 'waste of time.'

The defense team for Casey Anthony spent Monday poring over those records from the volunteer group. Television cameras weren't allowed as the defense team went over thousands of pages of Texas Equusearch volunteer records.

Anthony is accused of murdering her daughter whose remains were found in late 2008.

Texas Equusearch conducted several searches for the missing toddler after she was reported missing in June of 2008. One of the areas the group searched was the wooded area where the little girl's remains were eventually found.

The defense team filed several motions before Chief Judge Belvin Perry agreed to allow them to look at the records. Court appointed Magistrate Jim Glatt will oversee the process.

Texas Equusearch founder Tim Miller said Monday however that the defense's request to look at his group's records is a 'waste of money and time.'

"It's certainly not going to help the defense's case at all," Miller said.

Speculation is that the defense is interested in knowing if anyone could have searched the area where the girl's remains were found prior to December 2008 when they were found by an Orange County meter reader.

"It was impossible for that area to be cleared," Miller said. "That area was definitely under water. Everybody in that area stated so on their forms."

However, Texas Equusearch did hand over names and information on the 32 people they say searched this area of suburban drive for Caylee Anthony back in the Fall of 2008. The defense has insisted there were more, and say Monday their hunch proved correct.

"As we anticipated all along, there were a lot of people who on the Texas Equusearch records went on their own to suburban drive and searched," said Casey Anthony's attorney Cheney Mason.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/anthony_case/100410-defense-pours-over-records

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4656
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 am

cfnews 13

4th October 2010

Casey's defense: New witnesses could prove someone else killed Caylee

ORLANDO --

Casey Anthony's defense attorneys say they have new witnesses who may have searched the area where Caylee's remains were eventually found.

They said it could prove someone other than Anthony killed Caylee.

They're sorting through thousands of pages of documents belonging to the search group Texas EquuSearch.

"In about two-and-a-half hours, we discovered over 50 new witnesses who all the records said had not been on Suburban Drive. [And they] have just told us over the phone that they were," said Cheney Mason, one of Anthony's attorneys.

One of those witnesses could be key to proving the defense’s theory that Caylee's body was dumped a quarter of a mile from her home after her mother was arrested -- meaning someone else killed the toddler.

While poring over thousands of documents from Texas EquuSearch, the defense is cold calling volunteers and asking where did they search and when.

“If they were not in that Suburban Drive area, the call's terminated. If they were, then their name will be followed up,” said Texas EquuSearch's attorney Mark NeJame.

The defense will have an investigator call them to ask more questions.

Getting their hands on the documents has been a battle for months, with tensions running high a few times in the courtroom.

For two days, an appointed magistrate will watch the defense look through the documents and make calls, while members of Texas EquuSearch make sure the defense follows the rules.

The search group has long said the area where Caylee's remains were eventually found were underwater when they were in town. However, the defense is hoping to prove otherwise.

Texas EquuSearch founder Tim Miller said it's a waste of time.

“We've got some other missing person cases I need to be on," Miller said. "Of course, this is expensive again and I feel as though this is all in vain if you want to know the truth. I don't believe anything positive's going to come out of it for the defense at all.”

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/october/158167/Casey-Anthony-defense-search-for-Texas-EquuSearch-volunteers

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 am

Central Florida News 13

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Defense to plant doubt in Casey Anthony case

ORLANDO --

Casey Anthony's defense team says it has dozens of new witnesses who could help create doubt when the case goes to trial.

For the second day, Anthony's defense attorneys called volunteers with Texas EquuSearch. They are looking for anyone who may have been in the area where Caylee Anthony's remains were eventually found.

So far, the defense said they've made hundreds of calls and have found more than 100 people who said they searched Suburban Drive with Texas EquuSearch or on their own.

It's likely it wasn't the exact area where Caylee's remains were found, but that'll be determined later when investigators follow up.

But, for the first time, the defense and the search group responded to accusations a volunteer may have made false accusations about where they searched.

“Many calls coming in people say it was underwater. We've got one person out there that says it wasn't. Well they're either lying or they have to convince more people,” said Texas EquuSearch founder Tim Miller.

Miller said he got involved in the case to find Caylee. Now he said it's turned into an expensive mess.

He said he's confident the area where Caylee was eventually found was underwater when thousands of volunteers with Texas EquuSearch combed through the east Orange County neighborhood in 2008.

One volunteer, however, has told the defense otherwise.

Miller wouldn't comment specifically about volunteer Laura Buchanon, but he said, “I don't think her story is over with."

Buchanon said, in a sworn statement, she searched the spot where the body was found.

Another searcher, Joe Jordan, told investigators Buchanon tried to get him to go along with her story.

The sheriff's investigation is looking into the possibility of falsified records.

“The original form that was filled out is not in our file. Where this other one came from? I don't know. That's the investigators’ job,” Miller said.

“It is my understanding that she has testified under oath that she was there. Is there any evidence to contradict that yet? I haven't come across any yet,” said Jose Baez, Anthony's lead attorney.

Baez admits he hasn't looked through all the documents.

The defense doesn't believe they will be able to finish calling all the volunteers by the end of the work day Tuesday.

The session is behind closed doors at the watchful eye of an appointed magistrate.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/october/158452/Defense-to-plant-doubt-in-Anthony-case

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 am

Central Florida News 13

6th October 2010

Casey Anthony's defense to ask for more time to review Texas EquuSearch documents

ORANGE COUNTY --

Casey Anthony's defense team will ask a judge for more time to review documents with Texas EquuSearch and look for potential witnesses.

The defense called volunteers on Monday and Tuesday, looking for anyone who might have been in the area months prior to when Caylee Anthony's remains were eventually found.

At the watchful eye of an appointed magistrate, the defense called hundreds of volunteers and said they found about 150 people who said they were in the Suburban Drive area.

But, Texas EquuSearch has thousands of volunteers and the defense said they need more time to contact people.

All the new potential witnesses will receive a follow-up call with an investigator to talk about a specific location on Suburban Drive.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/october/158954/Casey-Anthonys-defense-to-ask-for-more-time-to-review-Texas-EquuSearch-documents

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:15 am

Orlando Sentinel

October 08, 2010

By Anthony Colarossi

Air science could be used for first time ever in Anthony case

The science resembles something you might expect to see on television's "CSI": odor and air samples originating from the trunk of a vehicle being used to prove a child's body decomposed inside.

But life, death, science and the unsavory business of prosecuting child slayings are rarely as clear-cut as they are portrayed on television. Nothing about the advanced testing on Casey Anthony's Pontiac Sunfire provides a conclusive answer about whether her 2-year-old daughter Caylee Marie's lifeless body was in that vehicle.

But the testing done in this case by a group of scientists in Tennessee shows an emerging science that could be used in a courtroom for the first time ever in the case against Casey Anthony.

The science identifies the chemical compounds associated with the decomposition of human bodies. The researchers from Oak Ridge National Laboratory, led by Dr. Arpad Vass, expressed caution in their final, 18-page, April 2009 forensic report to Orange County detectives. Their battery of tests produced "correlations" indicating "a portion of the total odor signature identified in [Anthony's Pontiac] is consistent with an early decompositional event that could be of human origin."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-10-08/news/os-casey-anthony-air-science-20101008_1_anthony-case-dorothy-clay-sims-casey-anthony

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:18 am

Orlando Sentinel

October, 12 2010

Casey Anthony: Search volunteer cites illness, avoids questioning — for now

Texas EquuSearch volunteer Laura Buchanan won’t be deposed — as scheduled — on Wednesday by prosecutors in the Casey Anthony case, WFTV-Ch. 9 reported tonight.

“Buchanan backed out, saying she’s ill,” WFTV’s Kathi Belich said.

Prosecutors are looking into allegations that Buchanan falsified records about the search for toddler Caylee Anthony. Casey Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her child.

The defense team did not respond to WFTV’s questions about Buchanan, Belich said.

“It is certainly suspect and damning to the defense that all of a sudden she’s too ill to proceed with the deposition,” WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said.

Buchanan has said she saw nothing in the area where the toddler’s remains were found months later — a comment seen as helpful to the defense case. But last week, WFTV found a document showing that on the day in question — Sept. 3, 2008 — Buchanan and her team were searching at Blanchard Park – not in the area where Caylee was later found.

Belich also talked to another EquuSearch volunteer, Lela Radojevic, who said she was with Buchanan the whole day at Blanchard Park.

Tonight, Belich noted that Buchanan will have to answer prosecutors’ questions later and could face “serious legal trouble” if she made up documents.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2010/10/casey-anthony-search-volunteer-cites-illness-avoids-questioning-for-now.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 am

Examiner

October 12th, 2010

Casey Anthony update: Lawyers for mom accused of murder to reexamine evidence

The defense team for the Florida mother accused of murder, Casey Anthony, has been given an opportunity to reexamine key pieces of scientific evidence in the case.

Casey is charged with the first-degree murder of her daughter Caylee Anthony, 2, whose remains were discovered in a wooded area near the Anthony family home in December 2008.

WESH reports that arrangements have been made for evidence to be sent off for additional examination by forensic experts hired by Casey’s attorneys.

For instance, “coffin flies” obtained from the scene where Caylee was found and from Casey’s car will be studied by entomologist Dr. Tim Huntington, according to WESH.

Prosecutors have long posited that Casey transported Caylee’s body in the trunk of her car, thus, they theorize this type of fly, which feeds on decomposing bodies, is the link between the crime scene and Casey’s vehicle.

WESH also determined that hair samples will be examined, one of which includes a strand of Caylee’s hair.

The defense agreed if any samples are destroyed or damaged during the transport or reexamination of the evidence, the state will still be allowed to use it at trial.

Casey’s trial is scheduled to begin in May 2011.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/casey-anthony-update-lawyers-for-mom-accused-of-murder-to-reexamine-evidence

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 am

WESH.com

October 14, 2010

Casey Anthony Prosecutors To Question Kronk's Teen Son

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Prosecutors in the Casey Anthony case have finalized plans to depose Roy Kronk’s teenage son via webcam.

According to new court filings, Kronk’s son Brandon Sparks lives in Washington.

Prosecutors plan to question him under oath via Skype on Oct. 28.

http://www.wesh.com/news/25393687/detail.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 am

WESH.com

October 14, 2010

Casey Anthony: Two Years, $67K Later
Thursday Marks Second Anniversary Of Murder Indictment

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Thursday marks two years since Casey Anthony was indicted for first degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Anthony. Anthony has been locked up without bond since then.

Anthony remains in a protective custody cell 23 hours each day. Her confinement in the 7-foot by 12-foot cell is costing taxpayers well over $30,000 per year.

“I don't think Casey Anthony has it good by any means,” said Orlando defense attorney Richard Hornsby.

Hornsby is not connected to the Anthony case, but does have a client,” said Orlando defense attorney Richard Hornsby.

Hornsby is not connected to the Anthony case, but does have a client in the same wing. He said he saw her in a classroom near her cell about a month ago.

“She was leaning back with her feet on a chair next to her and she was watching a soap opera on the TV,” Hornsby said.

According to Hornsby, women in protective custody often talk to one another.

“All the cells are made of metal so everything echoes,” he said. “You hear people whispering especially when they're not supposed to be talking loud back and forth."

Anthony has been behind bars for 730 consecutive days. Jail officials say the cost of feeding, housing and guarding her is about $92 per day, meaning her incarceration has cost taxpayers more than $67,000.

Corrections officials said cost figures that are not yet in for the past year will push the figure even higher.

As of now, she is the 40th longest serving inmate in the Orange County Jail. The jail houses more than 3,600 inmates.

"Casey Anthony has been very cooperative with officers and staff and is not considered to be a problem inmate,” a corrections spokesman said in a statement.

Anthony’s murder trial is not expected to begin until May.

If she is convicted and sentenced to death, Anthony would be moved to women’s death row at Lowell Correctional Institution in Ocala.

http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/25393770/detail.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:32 am

WESH.com

October 14, 2010

New Evidence Inventory List Filed In Anthony Case
List Describes Coffin Flies From Remains, Body Bag

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A newly filed evidence inventory in the case against Casey Anthony offered grim insight into the case on Thursday.

Investigators preserved "coffin flies" at the morgue from Caylee Anthony's skeletonized remains and from the body bag in which they were placed, the documents showed.

The inventory also indicated microscopic insects were also recovered from paper towels in a garbage bag recovered from the truck of Casey Anthony’s car.

Prosecutors said they hope to prove to a jury the "coffin flies" are proof Caylee Anthony's body had been in her mother's car before being placed in the woods off of Suburban Drive.

http://www.wesh.com/news/25393856/detail.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:35 am

Examiner

October 15th, 2010

Casey Anthony case: Defense witness Laura Buchanan backs out of questioning

A woman who’s story could help the defense in the Casey Anthony case backed out this week of being questioned under oath by prosecutors about falsifying documents regarding a Texas EquuSearch quest to find Caylee Anthony in 2008.

Casey is charged with the first-degree murder of Caylee in the summer of 2008.

According to WFTV, Laura Buchanan is under subpoena to talk, and will eventually have to speak, to prosecutors about allegations that she falsified documents to “make it appear as though Caylee Anthony’s body was not in the woods near her house… in September 2008.” That was three months after the little girl was reported missing and three months prior to her remains being discovered in December 2008.

Buchanan's claim would bolster the defense's argument that Casey was in jail when Caylee's body was placed in the area where it was eventually found.

Wednesday was the day Buchanan was supposed to speak to the prosecution, however, she backed out Tuesday saying she was ill.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/casey-anthony-case-defense-witness-laura-buchanan-backs-out-of-questioning

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 am

Orlando Sentinel

October 20, 2010

Casey Anthony defense budget challenged by state agency

The state agency funding Casey Anthony's criminal defense is challenging many of the recent requests the defense team has made for certain costs in the case.

Casey Anthony attorneys, Jose Baez and Ann E. Finnell, filed a motion to set a "reasonable budget" for the "penalty phase" of the case.

They've requested costs for: a private investigator not to exceed $5,000; a psychiatrist or psychologist at a "reasonable hourly rate" not to exceed $7,500; costs for copying medical and school records not to exceed $1,000 and an additional 100 hours for a mitigation specialist at a "previously approved rate."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-10-20/news/os-casey-anthony-defense-costs-challe20101018_1_casey-anthony-defense-team-travel-expenses

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 am

Orlando Sentinel

October, 18 2010

Casey Anthony: How much should public know about her in jail?

Should the public know extensive details about Casey Anthony’s time in jail?

Her attorneys have filed a motion asking Judge Belvin Perry to seal Anthony’s records in the Orange County Jail. She is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee. The public learns about everything from Anthony’s commissary purchases to her visits by attorneys.

WFTV-Ch. 9 quickly covered the new defense motion on sealing jail privacy. “The records are public for all inmates, but Casey’s defense team says releasing her records serves only to embarrass her and invade her privacy,” anchor Josh Benson said. “The argument has already been rejected twice.”

WESH-Ch. 2’s Bob Kealing highlighted that the defense team pointed to a legal precedent: a South Florida appeals court’s decision that not all jail information is public record.

WKMG-Ch. 6’s Tony Pipitone explained: “A South Florida court just ruled that not all jail records are public records. But that ruling’s not yet binding on judges here. The defense is using that recent decision to re-argue something that has been denied twice.”

Kealing said the Justice Administrative Commission, which gives funds to indigent clients, is balking at estimates of what Anthony’s death-penalty phase could cost. The costs have been put at $20,000.

Orlando attorney Richard Hornsby, who offers legal analysis for WESH, said the costs are unavoidable because the defense must be ready. But the commission disputed the amounts. The commission also said that $4,000 in travel expenses for a new Anthony attorney should come from privately retained defense attorney Jose Baez.

WKMG’s Pipitone explained that the state will pay the minimum to give indigent Anthony a fair trial. “The law says indigent defendants are entitled to a defense that’s competent,” Pipitone said. “But they’re not entitled to an O.J. defense unless they can pay for it themselves.”

Kealing said Judge Belvin Perry is expected to hold a hearing on one or both issues — costs and privacy.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2010/10/casey-anthony-how-much-should-public-know-about-her-in-jail.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:48 am

My Fox Orlando

Wednesday, 20 Oct 2010

Casey Anthony back in court Oct. 29

Casey Anthony will be back in court October 29 for a status hearing during which two motions filed by her defense team will be heard.

The motions that will be heard are a Motion to Determine Reasonable Budget for Due Process Costs in a Capital Case and Motion to Incur Certain Specified Costs.

Anthony has pleaded not guilty on charges that she killed her daughter, 2-year-old Caylee Marie, claiming a babysitter kidnapped her toddler. Caylee was last seen in June of 2008, but she was not reported missing until a month later. Her remains were found in woods near the family's home in December 2008.

Anthony's trial is scheduled to start in May 2011 and they are still on schedule to meet that date.

The hearing is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. in Courtroom 23

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/anthony_case/102010-casey-anthony-back-in-court-friday

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:51 am

WESH.com

October 20, 2010

Big Name Depositions Scheduled In Anthony Case

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- A number of high profile depositions will take place next week in the case against Casey Anthony.

Those to be deposed include Anthony’s ex-fiance, Jesse Grund, and the son of the former meter reader who discovered Caylee Anthony’s remains.

Judge Belvin Perry has set a series of deadlines for depositions in the case to take place, which is why more are now being scheduled.

Court documents indicate three of the depositions are scheduled for Tuesday, including Anthony’s former fiancée, Grund, his father, Richard Grund, and Orange County Corrections Officer Sylvia Hernandez. Hernandez was fired after allowing Anthony to exchange secret letters with a jailhouse pen pal.

On Wednesday, defense attorneys will depose lead detective Yuri Melich. He previously testified in court that Anthony’s car had the strong odor of a decomposing body.

http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/25455603/detail.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:54 am

Examiner

October 20th, 2010

Casey Anthony case: Search volunteers say PI tried to change their testimony

A private investigator working for the defense team of accused murderer Casey Anthony is now being accused of witness tampering by two Texas EquuSearch volunteers.

Casey is charged with the first-degree murder of her toddler daughter, Caylee Anthony.

WFTV was told by Brett Churchill and Brett Reilly, who helped EquuSearch look for 2-year-old Caylee after she was reported missing in the summer of 2008, that private investigator Jeremy Lyons tried to get them to change their testimony regarding the case.

In essence the two men say Lyons wanted them to change what they told authorities about searching the area where Caylee’s remains were eventually found in December 2008.

“I felt in my mind, yes, he was trying to tamper with me, in a sense,” said Churchill.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/casey-anthony-case-search-volunteers-say-pi-tried-to-change-their-testimony

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:58 am

Orlando Sentinel

October 22, 2010

By Anthony Colarossi

Casey Anthony attorney Linda Kenney Baden leaves defense team

Long-time Casey Anthony defense attorney Linda Kenney Baden has left the defense team citing financial limitations in continuing to represent her.

Kenney Baden's motion to withdraw as counsel in the high-profile case was filed in court this afternoon.

The New York City based attorney cited financial reasons for her departure and state rules surrounding Casey Anthony being declared indigent for costs in the murder case.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-10-22/news/os-casey-anthony-lawyer-leaves-20101022_1_casey-anthony-defense-team-caylee-marie

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:03 am

Examiner

October 22nd, 2010

Casey Anthony loses another lawyer as Linda Kenney Baden leaves defense team

Renowned attorney, Linda Kenney Baden, who joined the Casey Anthony defense early on in the case, has announced she is leaving the team for financial reasons.

Casey is the Florida mother charged with the first-degree murder of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony in the summer of 2008.

The Orlando Sentinel notes that Baden, who’s based out of New York City, said that after Casey was declared indigent, too many rules were placed on spending in the case by the Justice Administration Commission.

“As out of state counsel I have been traveling to Florida and elsewhere to properly represent Ms. Anthony,” Baden stated in a motion that announced her withdrawal. She noted that it is her “understanding that the JAC prohibits payments of such costs to out of state attorneys even though they have rendered and are rendering their services free of charge.”

Thus, she said she cannot remain an attorney for Casey “in the absence of substantial funds to cover the costs of travel and reimbursement for expenses...," which is anticipated to increase as the trial approaches.

Baden added that she believes in her client’s innocence and would prefer to remain on her legal team, but is forced to withdraw “…because the state of Florida fails to reimburse out of state pro bono attorneys for expenses…”

Two high-profile attorneys, Todd Macaluso and Andrea Lyon both exited Casey‘s defense team this year as well.

Casey is scheduled to be tried for Caylee’s murder in May 2011.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/casey-anthony-loses-lawyer-linda-kenney-baden-for-financial-reasons-video

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:06 am

WESH.com

October 26, 2010

Key Deposition In Casey Case Canceled
Corrections Officer To Give Sworn Testimony Today

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A key deposition in the Casey Anthony case was canceled on Tuesday.

An Orange County corrections officer, Sylvia Hernandez, was expected to give sworn testimony in the Anthony case.

Hernandez was fired for allowing Anthony to exchange secret letters with another inmate.

The letters, which were sent between Anthony and fellow inmate Robyn Adams, were released as evidence by the state earlier this year.

In an investigative summary, investigators wrote that Adams discussed the topic of Zenaida Gonzalez with Anthony. Anthony has told authorities Gonzalez kidnapped Caylee.

In conversations with investigators, Adams claimed Anthony made two references to Gonzalez. The first indicated "there was no Zenaida" and "Zenaida didn't do this." The second reference claimed Gonzalez was a childhood friend.

Investigators said Adams also told them that Anthony would give Caylee "stuff" to make her sleep.

Anthony and Adams discussed chloroform, and Anthony told Adams she would give the toddler "antihistamines or something" because she had difficulties getting her to take naps.

A deposition with Anthony's former fiance, Jesse Grund, was also canceled.

Anthony is currently being held at the Orange County Jail and charged with the murder of her daughter, Caylee Marie.

http://www.wesh.com/caseyanthony/25512768/detail.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 am

Examiner

October 27th, 2010

Casey Anthony case: Defense team asking for more money to pay investigators

The legal team for Casey Anthony, the Florida mother accused of murdering her daughter, is asking for more money to pay for additional investigative hours, according to reports.

Casey is charged with the first-degree murder of Caylee Anthony, 2, in the summer of 2008. The toddler's remains were discovered in a wooded area near the Anthony family home in December of that year.

According to WESH, the defense investigators are being paid $40 per hour. Thus, an additional 300 hours on the case amounts to $12,000 now being asked for in a motion filed by lawyer Jose Baez.

In the motion, Baez notes that evidence is still being released by the prosecution in the case, thus, investigators are needed to continue examining the information.

In March, Casey was determined by the court to be indigent, meaning some of her legal costs will be paid for by taxpayers. Nonetheless, the Justice Administration Commission, a state commission, must still determine whether funds requested are allowable in the case.

WESH notes that in his motion, Baez also requests clarification regarding reimbursement for defense attorney travel expenses. Last week Casey lost high-profile defense attorney Linda Kenney Baden, who cited an “...the absence of substantial funds to cover the costs of travel and reimbursement for expenses...," as the reason she left the team.

Casey is scheduled to be tried for Caylee’s murder in May 2011.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/casey-anthony-case-defense-team-asking-for-more-money-to-pay-investigators

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 am

Sun Sentinel

27th October 2010

Orlando Sentinel moves to keep Casey Anthony jail records open

The Orlando Sentinel has filed a motion in court arguing against the Casey Anthony defense team's efforts to have Orange County Jail records sealed in the high-profile case.

Citing a new appellate court decision in South Florida, the Casey Anthony defense team recently filed a motion to seal the woman's jail commissary records and telephone and visitation logs.

But today the Sentinel responded with its own motion, saying the Casey Anthony team's "argument is misplaced."

" Florida's Constitution and Public Records Act contemplates the disclosure of all records made or received by an agency in connection with the transaction of official business," states the Sentinel's motion to intervene. "The fact that there is no exemption for the public records at issue means that the legislature never contemplated that the documents would remain secret."

The Orange County Attorney's Office also has filed a response to the Casey Anthony defense motion and also asked the court to deny the defense request "to seal the visitation logs, telephone logs and commissary records kept and maintained by the Orange County Corrections Department."

The jail records issue is scheduled to be discussed Friday during the next hearing in the case before Orange-Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry.

Casey Anthony's defense attorneys argue in their filing that Florida's public-records law was not meant to provide for such disclosures and that the release of the Casey Anthony jail records "serves only to embarrass and invade the privacy of the defendant."

Casey Anthony, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee Marie.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-casey-anthony-sentinel-motion-20101027,0,7014506.story

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 am

Orlando Sentinel

October, 27 2010 6:30 PM

Casey Anthony: Jail answers defense on release of records

What does the Orange County Jail have to say about Casey Anthony’s attorneys trying to get her jail records sealed?

Television stations quickly summed up the latest in the case tonight.

WESH-Ch. 2 anchor Martha Sugalski said: “Her defense team cites a new court ruling that banned a South Florida newspaper from getting access to inmates’ recorded personal phone calls. In their response, attorneys for the Orange County Jail argued that ruling does not apply to other public jail records like visitor logs and commissary records that by law they’re required to release.”

WFTV-Ch. 9 anchor Martie Salt said: “The county runs the jail and says a new appeals court ruling only applies to recorded personal calls of inmates, not the other records, like her jail account. She [Anthony] will be in court when Chief Judge Belvin Perry takes up the issue this Friday.”

WFTV also noted that Anthony’s attorneys spent today questioning Detective Yuri Melich, the lead Orange County investigator in the case, and will talk to the son of former meter reader Roy Kronk on Thursday. “The son claims Roy Kronk appeared to have inside information,” Salt said.

Kronk found the remains of Caylee Anthony. Casey Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2010/10/casey-anthony-jail-answers-defense-on-release-of-records.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 am

My Fox Orlando

Friday, 29 Oct 2010,

FBI agent questioned by Casey’s defense

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Special Agent Nick Savage, the lead FBI investigator associated with the Casey Anthony case sat down for questioning under oath with Casey Anthony's defense team.

"What were hoping to learn from Nick Savage this morning?" asked FOX 35.

"I couldn't tell you that," said Casey's attorney, Cheney Mason. "That would be too much on specific evidence. He was very cooperative and helped," Mason said.

Casey Anthony and her defense team will be heading back into court Friday. They're asking the judge for more money to pay their investigator for another 300 hours of work.

Since Casey Anthony was declared indigent, Chief Judge Belvin Perry approved for the Justice Administrative Commission to give the defense money to pay their investigator up to 300 hours, but that money is all gone.

FOX 35 asked the defense why they needed more.

"Because we need more investigation and they have to get paid. They can send all the investigators they want from any agency with no budget," said Mason.

"Do you think another three hundred hours will bring this to a close?" asked FOX 35. "No I think it'll take more than that," said Mason.

Two year old Caylee Anthony was reported missing 27 months ago. Her remains were found nearly two years ago. So why is the defense doing so much of their investigation this late in the game?

"Because it’s late in the game and they're disclosing evidence to us," said Mason, referring to state prosecutors.

Along with money for that investigator, Casey Anthony's defense team will also ask the judge to reconsider sealing jail records of what Casey buys from commissary, video visitations, and any telephone calls she may make.

FOX 35 will be at Friday's hearing and will bring you the latest details.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/anthony_case/102810_FBI_agent_questioned_by_Casey_defense

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 am

Palm Beach Post

Friday, Oct. 29, 2010

Judge denies Casey Anthony attorney's request to close jail records

Casey Anthony's attorney failed to convince a judge today that his client's jail records, including phone and visitation logs and commissary records, should not be released to the public.

Citing recent case law, Jose Baez said: "If it's not official business of the jail, it's not a public record."

In response, Judge Belvin Perry just read from the Florida constitution and Florida statutes and denied the defense motion. The jail logs and records will not be sealed.

Anthony, 24, charged with first-degree murder in the 2008 death of her daughter Caylee Marie, is in the courtroom today for her monthly status hearing.

She faces the death penalty if convicted of murder. Her trial is set to start in May.

The cost to defend Anthony is also expected to be discussed today.

The overall cost of defending Casey Anthony so far has approached $300,000 according to disclosures of private funding made in court earlier this year and recent billing totals for publicly financed costs provided by the JAC. That public financing total will no doubt go up as the first-degree murder trial approaches in May.

Death penalty attorney Todd Doss, the Death Penalty chair for the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, says his fee in death cases starts at $100,000, not including costs. But a case like Casey Anthony's, Doss said, would run significantly higher because of the size of the investigation, number of witnesses, complexity of evidence and intense media attention given the case.

"I surely would not quote Casey Anthony that [$100,000 figure]," Doss said. "I don't think $100,000 would be enough for that case. It would absolutely be well past the $100,000 mark. You need multiple attorneys to be able to handle the enormity of the case."

Asked about the costs in the Casey Anthony case, Baez said, there has been "no abuse of funds whatsoever in this case."

"Anyone who wants to complain about the costs should ask: Is this something I would have a problem with myself?" Baez said. "It's extremely difficult to say this is how much it should cost to defend a capital case. You can't put a price on a human life or what it costs."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/judge-denies-casey-anthony-attorneys-request-to-close-1005663.html

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  merlynsam on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 am

Orlando Sentinel

October 29, 2010

Judge to Casey Anthony attorney: 'I'm not going to write an open check.'
The overall cost of defending Casey Anthony so far has approached $300,000.

Chief Circuit Judge Belvin Perry made two things perfectly clear to Casey Anthony and her attorneys Friday: He will not seal jail logs pertaining to the young woman and he will not let public dollars be wasted in her defense.

"I'm not going to write an open check," Perry told defense lawyers and their client, who appeared in court Friday for the first time since summer.

Friday's hearing covered a broad range of issues from finances and public records to deposition deadlines and spats between the prosecution and the defense. But the money and the jail records were the key issues handled Friday.

Anthony's defense team had earlier asked Perry to seal visitation and phone logs and commissary records. On Friday, they also asked to have her mail kept from public review. They cited a recent appellate court ruling in South Florida, which would restrict public access to recorded jail inmate telephone conversations. The Orlando Sentinel's attorneys filed a motion earlier this week asking the court not to seal the records, and attorney Gregg Thomas argued that stance Friday.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-10-29/news/os-casey-anthony-hearing-friday-20101029_1_casey-anthony-defense-team-caylee-marie

merlynsam
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum