Find Madeleine
Welcome to the Find Madeleine forum!

This is a private forum. All new members are requested to make at least ONE post within a week of your account being activated. The Find Madeleine forum staff have taken these steps in order to safeguard our forum and its members using it.

You may want to do this in the Introduce Yourself area or during a chat in The Fireplace Chat area. There are plenty of places to post, even if it is just a hello message. Posting at least ONE message will let us know that you wish to keep your account. We fully understand that some members do not have the time to post on a regular basis but we feel this is a very reasonable request.

Any accounts that remains at 0 posts after one week will be deleted.

Regards,
Admin
Candles
Register
You are currently viewing these forums as a Guest. To access all forums, please log in. If you are not currently a Member, please register.

"REGISTER"
Navigation
 Home
 Blog
 Portal
 FAQ
 Search
January 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Free counters!
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Find Madeleine Widget
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of Find Madeleine on your social bookmarking website

GERREN JOSEPH ISGRIGG - Aged 6 years - Found near Lake Lavon, Wylie, Texas (USA)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Re: GERREN JOSEPH ISGRIGG - Aged 6 years - Found near Lake Lavon, Wylie, Texas (USA)

Post  Twiglet on Wed May 26, 2010 2:31 am

FOX 4 News

24 May 2010

Wylie's Angel Burial Trial Closes‎

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/052410-Wylie's-Angel-Burial-Trial-Closes

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 20941
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

default Re: GERREN JOSEPH ISGRIGG - Aged 6 years - Found near Lake Lavon, Wylie, Texas (USA)

Post  Twiglet on Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 am

WFAA

24 May 2010

Court orders burial of 'Wylie's Angel' in Arizona‎

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Court-Hearing-for-Wylies-Angel-case-94726759.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 am

Dallas Morning News

25 May 2010

'Wylie's Angel' parents end legal fight over boy's burial‎

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/prosper/stories/DN-gerren_25met.ART.State.Edition1.237a0b59.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:31 am

WFAA

4 June 2010

Grandmother of 'Wylie's Angel' indicted‎

McKINNEY — Darlene Cornelius Phillips, 63, has been indicted by a Collin County grand jury for the murder of her grandson, Gerren Isgrigg.

Six-year-old Gerren was abandoned in a pile of brush and covered with a blanket at a park near Lavon Lake in April

For days, the child's identity was unknown; he came to be known as "Wylie's Angel" before he could be identified.

An arrest warrant affidavit said Gerren was alive when he was abandoned three days before his body was discovered

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Grandmother-of-Wylies-Angel-indicted-95621544.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 am

WFAA

5 June 2010

Autopsy report: 'Wylie's Angel' died of lack of medical attention and exposure

http://www.wfaa.com/news/Grandmother-indicted-for-murder-of-wylies-angel-95649104.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am

NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

4 June 2010

Attorney Slams Murder Charge in Wylie's Angel Case‎

The attorney for the grandmother of "Wylie's Angel" said he doesn't think murder charges will stand against his client.

A Collin County grand jury indicted Darlene Phillips on Friday on a single count of murder in the death of Gerren Isgrigg, her 6-year-old grandson.

Phillips is accused of abandoning the child in Wylie park. His body was found April 15 by a landscaper.

But Marc Fratter, Phillips' attorney, said prosecutors won't be able to prove a murder case against his client.

"The emotion of it, the fact that it brought national attention is what pushed the state to seek a murder indictment," he said.

Fratter said manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide are more appropriate charges. She had no motive to kill her grandson, he said.

"None of this, certainly, was motivated by anger or rage (there was) nothing financial to gain," he said.

Phillips was the primary caregiver for Gerren, a child with special needs, for three years.

“This was a full-time, 24-7 job for Darlene,” Fratter said.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Attorney-Slams-Murder-Charge-in-Wylies-Angel-Case-95669574.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 am

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:08 am

Dallas Morning News

15 September 2010

Appeals court denies bond reduction for Darlene Phillips in Wylie's Angel case

.........A jury trial on the murder charge is tentatively scheduled to begin Dec. 7.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091610dnmetwyliesangel.f83010f9.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:55 am

The Dalas Morning News

2 June 2011

There’s no real justice for ‘Wylie’s Angel’

There’s really no such thing as “justice” when you’re talking about a dead child. So even a guilty plea and stiff sentence don’t add up to justice for Gerren Isgrigg.

In a just world, the blind, deaf, immobile 6-year-old boy known as “Wylie’s Angel” would not have been abandoned to die next to a deserted reservoir.

When people say the child has gotten justice, what they actually mean is that the legal part is done, and that somebody has paid.

Gerren’s grandmother, Darlene Phillips, is undeniably accountable: She has admitted from the start that she abandoned the boy in the remote brush where he died.

Now 64, she pleaded guilty this week to a felony charge of injury to a disabled elderly person or child and received a 28-year-sentence. With luck and good behavior, she might be free when she’s 75.
But I can’t help but observe that in a just world, Phillips would never have reached the crazed point of isolated overload that apparently led to her reprehensible act.

In a just world, the other people who should have been responsible for Gerren — mother, father, grandfather, uncle — would have provided a backup, a fail-safe to make sure the overwrought woman wasn’t collapsing under the burden of providing round-the-clock care for a dependent, unresponsive, medically fragile patient.

Some of those people have admitted as much. The boy’s largely absentee father, Jerry Isgrigg, stood in court Thursday to deliver a victim-impact statement. But instead of directly addressing Phillips, he mused on his own shortcomings as a preoccupied, divorced dad:

“I don’t know what happened, but I failed as a father for my son.”

Conspicuously absent from the proceedings has been the little boy’s mother — his nominal custodial parent and legal guardian, 37-year-old Nyki Phillips. If you can say that anybody in this sad affair “got off easy,” it wasn’t Gerren’s grandmother. It was his mother.

“Nyki looked at Gerren like somebody who has gotten rid of cancer,” said McKinney attorney Marc Fratter, who represented Darlene Phillips. “Gerren was a cancer to her: ‘Keep it away from me. I don’t want it.’”

Those are strong words, but they would have been at the heart of Fratter’s case had it gone to trial.

He and other relatives have said that Nyki Phillips removed her disabled son from a private-care facility three years ago, then left him with her mother for what she said would be “a few weeks.”

Then she took off to resume her own carefree life while collecting $1,500 every month in child support and federal assistance meant for the boy.

I tried to track her down, but couldn’t. Her phone is disconnected; she didn’t respond to a message sent via her Facebook page. She wasn’t in court this week to see her mother plead guilty or to hear her ex-husband talk about his loss.

She should have been, since her mother was doing her a very big favor. Fratter said that Darlene Phillips’ refusal to allow any unflattering testimony about her deadbeat daughter undercut his defense and left him with little alternative to accepting the 28-year sentence.

“Those restrictions, in effect, shut down the defense,” Fratter said. “Her fear was that her daughter was going to get up on the stand and come across as a bad person.”

Would a jury have thought that? Well, what would you think of a legally custodial parent who dumped a child off like an unwanted pet and never returned?

“Darlene was always struggling with, ‘Why doesn’t my daughter come see her son? Why doesn’t she care about her son?’” Fratter said.

The reason his client never sought help from authorities, he said, is the same reason there wasn’t a trial: She didn’t want Nyki to get in trouble.

“If she had taken him to the police or anywhere else,” Fratter said, “it would have pointed to the mother: ‘Where’s the mother? Isn’t she still collecting the money?’ And Darlene didn’t want to do that.”

In the end, it was Darlene Phillips who was left with the sole responsibility for Gerren’s life and who shoulders the full blame for his death. After writing about this case last year, I heard from countless caregivers who said that until you have taken on the full-time care of a sick or disabled loved one, you can’t grasp the frustration, depression and sheer exhaustion they can experience.

It was those people, frustrated and exhausted themselves, who I might have expected to be Darlene Phillips’ sternest critics: After all, she abandoned the profound responsibility that they bear every day. But they were her most earnest defenders.

“I’ve been brutally honest about how impossible it is to shoulder this alone,” one mother of a profoundly disabled daughter wrote. “I have driven to the ER and threatened to leave her there unless somebody hears me.”

No, there’s not really any justice in this case. Gerren Isgrigg, a helpless little boy, is dead. Darlene Phillips is in prison, maybe for the rest of her life.

Anybody who might have intervened got off easy.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20110602-theres-no-real-justice-for-wylies-angel.ece

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:58 am

5 NBC

1 June 2011

Grandmother of 'Wylie's Angel' Gets 28 Years

Darlene Phillips, the 64-year-old grandmother of 6-year-old Gerren Isgrigg, aka "Wylie's Angel," plead guilty to the murder of her grandson Wednesday and has been given a sentence of 28 years in prison.

Phillips entered the plea in an attempt to avoid dying in prison on a life sentence and to spare her family any possibility of further charges and the stress of a trial.

Last week Phillips was indicted on a second charge of injury to a disabled elderly person or child, a first-degree felony. She had previously been indicted for murder in connection with the boy's death.

The new charge made it possible for Phillips to enter a plea agreement and to have the original murder charge thrown out. In court Wednesday, Phillips plead guilty specifically to the third paragraph of the indictment which read as follows:

"Intends to cause serious bodily injury to an individual, namely, Gerren Isgrigg, Committ an act clearly dangerous to human life that caused the death of said (GI) by failing to provide necessary nourishment and failing to provide necessary medical care and by abandoning (GI) in a place he was unlikely to receive necessary care."

Phillips will be eligible for parole in roughly 13 years (half her sentence minus the year she's already served in jail).

Isgrigg was found on April 15, 2010, near a pond in Wylie. For several days investigators tried to identify the boy and find his family before Phillips turned herself in to authorities.

The boy, who was blind, deaf and had serious, violent seizures, needed to be fed through a feeding tube. He was believed to have been at the pond for three days before his body was found by a landscaper, according to the autopsy report.

Phillips told police she left the boy at the pond with a note attached to his clothing hoping someone else could help give him a better life. Isgrigg had been under his grandmother's care since being abandoned by his mother, Nyki Phillips, four years ago.

Isgrigg's father, Staff Sgt. Jerry Isgrigg, told NBCDFW in 2010 that a bad divorce, his deployments and base reassignments kept him from seeing his son during the last three years of his life. He added that he was unaware Phillips was acting as the primary caregiver and that his ex-wife never mentioned any issues with their son's care.

Isgrigg is expected to speak Thursday when victim impact statements will be heard by the court.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Grandmother-of-Wylies-Angel-Gets-28-Years-122957338.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 am

NBC

2 June 2011

Father of Wylie's Angel Addresses Court

On Wednesday, Darlene Phillips, the 64-year-old grandmother of 6-year-old Gerren Isgrigg, plead guilty to the murder of her grandson and was handed a 28-year prison sentence.

The boy's body was found April 15, 2010, near a pond in Wylie. For several days investigators tried to identify the boy and find his family before Phillips turned herself in to authorities. It was later revealed that she was his sole caretaker and that the boy's mother had abandoned him and moved to Oklahoma. The boy's father, Staff Sgt. Jerry Isgrigg, was enlisted in the military.

Thursday, the court allowed for victim's impact statements to be heard. The boy's father was the only one to address the court.

After taking a deep breath, Isgrigg said this day had been a long time coming and that he'd spent a lot of time trying to put together what took place with his son and how it made him feel.

"I don't know what happened, but I failed as a father for my son," Isgrigg said. "I'm not the type of person to make a lot of excuses one way or another, [but] being in the military -- it keeps you away from your family. I don't know what happened the last couple years. I asked myself, if this went to trial, did I want to know everything that happened? I don't know."

Isgrigg reiterated that when given opportunities to see his son, something would get in the way that made it impossible. In the past, he'd told NBCDFW that his deployments, a bad divorce and base reassignments kept him from seeing Gerren.

"My son had a serious seizure disorder, but I didn't love him any less," Isgrigg said. "I treated him like he was a normal child. I'd hold him, I'd love him. We'd sit and watch TV even though I know there's no way he'd understand it. He couldn't talk ... but [he] had probably the best smile I've ever seen in my life."

"He was the best thing that happened in my entire life. I couldn't ask for anything better than that," Isgrigg said. "The biggest thing I know is I'll never have him again. I'm never going to be able to sit at his bedside at the hospital, or home, to hold him, try to comfort him. That's gone. I'll never get it back."

Phillips will be eligible for parole in about 13 years.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Father-of-Wylies-Angel-Addresses-Court-123029803.html

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:23 am

Sentence: Darlene Phillips, the 64-year-old grandmother of 6-year-old Gerren Isgrigg, plead guilty to the murder of her grandson and was handed a 28-year prison sentence.

Phillips will be eligible for parole in about 13 years.

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Twiglet on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:28 am

R.I.P. Gerren

I am not there

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the snow on the mountain's rim,
I am the laughter in children's eyes,
I am the sand at the water's edge,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle Autumn rain,
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the star that shines at night,
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

~Author Unknown~

WAITING, HOPING, PRAYING
Twiglet
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum